While Wi-Fi hotspots are almost everywhere, many who use them tend to have a favorite location they visit most frequently. People may prefer certain hotspots over others for reasons such as
- conveniently located near other places of interest
- comfortable seating
- friendly and/or quiet atmosphere
- Caribou in downtown Chicago or at my local Caribou in Mt. Prospect.
- I frequent my public library's signal....from my car :)
- —Guest Lirpa
Home and Away
- My favorite hot spot is my wireless home network, and if I am not at home, my Verizon air card provides my hot spot. There are both reliability issues and very real security issues with public hot spots. I prefer to use my personal secured network.
- Aledo, Illinois (USA) has an excellent downtown public WiFi. Several other businesses in town do also.
- —Guest Keithc
Another vote for Caribou Coffee Shop
- Free subscription access, just a little slow. But caffeine and ambience aplenty. My 'office' for meeting web site customers.
- —Guest firstname.lastname@example.org
Any better security for free hotspots?
- Even if a Wi-Fi hotspot such as the New York Libraries is stated not to be secure, are there methods to minimize the risk?
- —Guest PaulW
Tampa (Florida, USA) Airport
- Tampa's airport is clean, comfy seating, intelligent layout (no running half a mile to catch your flight) and FREE no-hassle wifi, which like jcook said, is just common sense. Paying for 15 minutes of wifi is retarded.
- —Guest Don
Long Beach (California, USA) Airport
- Free, fast connection while you're waiting. Jet Blue terminals are great, too. I get really annoyed when I have an hour layover and am expected to spend 15 minutes of it signing up for an expensive service, especially if it's t-com, which I hate. It wouldn't be so bad if there was one service for all airports so you could get a day pass and use it two or three times, but that never happens.
- —Guest jkcook
- Caribou is my favorite spot to sit back and enjoy a hot caramel high-rise with others who are either on their computer or reading a newspaper, book, etc. It is a quiet personal time away from home.
- #1 = my home. #2 is the Buena Vista, Colorado Public Library. Many comfy corners, and if they close, I can finish up outside.
Starbucks (Webster, NY)
- Starbucks located in Webster, NY. It has a strong signal and plenty of room to work in.