Follow these steps to quickly find the Internet Protocol (IP) and Media Access Control (MAC) address of a computer running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME.
Time Required: < 1 minute
- Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.
- Click Run... on this menu.
- In the text box that appears, type winipcfg. The "IP Address" field shows the IP address for the default network adapter. The "Adapter Address" field shows the MAC address for this adapter.
- Use the drop-down menu near the top of the window to browse address information for alternate network adapters. Computers installed with VPN software or emulation software will possess one or more virtual adapters.
- Take care to read the IP address from the correct adapter. Virtual adapters generally show a private address rather than an actual Internet address.
- Virtual adapters possess software-emulated MAC addresses and not the actual physical address of the network interface card.
What You Need
- Windows 95 / 98 / ME