1. Technology

Does it make sense to install two routers on a home network? In some situations, the answer is yes. One reason is to network a wired router and a wireless router to build a hybrid network. A second router can also be used to extend wireless coverage to a multi-level building. If you have such a setup, consider sharing your experience:
Readers Respond - Do You Use Two Routers On Your Home Network?
See also - How to Connect Two Routers On a Home Network
Comments
August 10, 2006 at 7:44 pm
(1) Al says:

Here’s another reason.

I use two routers on the same home network to access both DSL and Cable broadband. Might sound excessive, but it’s not that much more than having a second phone line for backup service.

To swicth between DSL or cable, I just have to change the gateway and dns setting to the router I want to use.

Easy as Pi
al

February 4, 2007 at 3:54 pm
(2) rob says:

I want to have a wired switch near my broadband modem (basement) and a wireless router upstairs where the radio can broadcast outside. Seems like I should be able to use my old 802.11b router (the 4-port switch part) to do the wired side of things but the IP addressing is at the edge of my understanding of networking.

February 21, 2007 at 8:35 am
(3) Mark says:

I’m tring to do the same thing! I have a wireless router in the basement were my broadband comes in and I want to put a wireless G router that I had laying around on the 2nd floor. I hooked them up but couldn’t get them to work. Do I need a crossover cable to connect two routers?

March 23, 2007 at 7:59 pm
(4) chris says:

If you want to connect 2 routers and allow them to have a network of computers communicating just hook up one of the ports of your first router into one of the LAN (not wan)ports on your second router. Be sure to disable DHCP server on the second router and set the second routers address to something different than the first if you want to access it on the network. Your second router will act like a switch so your first router will be assigning IP addresses to them so make sure you have DHCP on the first router.

May 4, 2007 at 4:16 pm
(5) B Roberts says:

My goal is to create a wireless and wired network using 2 different routers in my home. I have read that by creating 2 different networks (different IP addresses for each) that this enhances the security for the wired computers. Is this accurate? Ultimately I would like to have all the notebook computers attached to the wireless network and all the wired computers attached to the wired network. Each network would have different IP addresses. Once the dual network is created is it possible to have the wireless notebook computers communicate with the wired desktop computers? If so how is this accomplished.

August 19, 2010 at 1:46 am
(6) Jump says:

One cable modem. Desire to have 2 wireless routers on seperate networks. How I have configured:

#1 Belkin Router connected to Cable Modem and sits on network address of 192.168.2.1 (for access).

Likksys Router #2 connected to any LAN port on back of #1 Router and sits on network address of 192.168.1.1 (for access)

The first router has assigned the 2nd router via DHCP the IP address of 192.168.2.11 (this was automatic and was viewed in the #1 router DHCP Client List)

I have NOT turned off DHCP on #2 Router.

Here’s what is happening – When a wireless computer attempts connection to the #2 Router, that computer is assigned an IP address. It will be something like 192.168.1.10.
So the wireless computer is now on that network.

When the computer attemps to access the internet, it does so via the #2 routers IP address of 192.168.2.11.
This address is a different network from Router #2 and is the Gateway to the Internet.

You will not be able to access any computers on the 192.168.2.x network from the wireless computer connection because it has been physically assigned to the 192.168.1.x network.

I use this set up for a second wireless access point for guests. They still need a pass key but they have zero access to all other computers on the network.

September 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm
(7) Josh says:

Interesting how Jump says his guests cannot see the machines on his 192.168.2.x network. This is not true. You can still see all the machines on that other subnet unless you specifically tell your router to block access between 1.x and 2.x machines. Realistically, home networking does not give you this ability, but yes, in theory it makes it more difficult to browse machines. That said, Jump’s solution is the easiest way to give guest access to computers without giving direct access to his private network. A simple IP scanner would uncover the other network. Angry IP scanner is one I recommend to test your visibility.

If you are looking to have 2 routers on the same network to give extended range, the easiest thing to do is set the SSID to the same value on both machines, and if you have a password set up for security, make sure they are the same as well. Your wireless device will grab the signal with the better strength and you will most often always switch between routers when traveling through the house or where ever without dropping your connection. Again, make sure you disable DHCP on the router that is NOT the edge device connected to your modem. The edge device should most commonly be set up as your DHCP server. Additional setting on the secondary router is to configure it with a static IP. For example, your edge router is 192.168.1.1. Make your secondary router have a static ip of 192.168.1.2, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, default gateway of 192.168.1.1, this will point it to your edge router. I have recently experienced the edge router NOT handing out a DHCP address to the secondary router, and for ease of management, a static IP is your best bet. DNS can then either be configured to point to your edge router, or directly to your ISP’s DNS servers.

Hopefully this helps some people trying to set this up. Home wireless routers are cheaper than wireless access points more often than not anyways, so save yourself some money!

October 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(8) Ross says:

I’m trying to connect my Xbox to my wireless router which really isn’t that far away. I’ve been looking for “wireless repeaters” but I’ve had no luck. I cant buy another wireless router and connect the two via Ethernet cable, so my options are very limited.

December 5, 2011 at 11:11 am
(9) Paul says:

My experience is similar to Josh, but I specify to help others in the same situation. I’ve been running a chain of 2 routers for about 3 years without any major problems, however, sometimes one of the routers will lose connectivity and I do a power reset and the router is back to normal. Doesn’t seem to happen often, but I do wonder why it happens at all.

I get a cable into the house which hooks into a Motorola surfboard cable modem. This goes into a Cisco WRT610N wireless router. The WRT610N is configured as 192.168.1.1 (the IP of this router) and it begins assigning IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100. It is set to mixed 802.11G and N, which were the defaults. WPA2 authentication. I set the DHCP Server to ENABLE. I also use a 5 port Dynex switch because I have more than 4 RJ45 ethernet cables that need a hardwire connection.

In the other part of the house (the middle), there is a wired RJ45 ethernet connection to an old router I had lying around: a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. I set this router’s IP address to 192.168.1.200 to differentiate it from the other wireless router of 192.168.1.1 address. I set the DHCP Server on that one to DISABLE.

I named the networks (SSID) differently, which in hindsight was probably not all that efficient, however, different endpoint devices use different routers, and so it is not that much of a problem. For instance, the BlueRay player always goes to one of the routers, and the Apple AirPlay speaker always goes to the other router in the middle of the house.

I will say that using the older wireless router as an extension was much easier than the specialized hardware “extender” solutions I had tired previously, which never seemed to work correctly. A lot of you may have an older, cheap, router laying around or can find one on EBay. Go for it.

December 5, 2011 at 11:17 am
(10) Paul says:

A quick followup on my last post, where I forgot to mention 2 items:

(1) The authentication of the 2nd router (WRT54GS) was set to the same password and type (WPA2) as the router attached to the cable modem where I get the feed, and

(2) On the WRT54GS router (the one that is the “extension”), I plugged the RJ45 ethernet cable coming into it into one of the normal ports (NOT the single Internet port) — just a port in the middle of the router.

December 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm
(11) Eric says:

Josh or Paul
Can I do the same thing with 2 wireless Modem/Routers? My internet provider recently game me a newer modem/router and I want to take the older one and connect via a RJ45 line to rebroadcast my internet on the upper level of the house (the internet line comes into the basement where my office is). I currently have T-Mobil Speedport W723V and W303V WLAN modem/routers; or would it be better to dig up an old Linksys wireless router instead?

December 15, 2011 at 1:35 am
(12) alibee says:

how do i switch to my 2Wire Gateway router

October 3, 2013 at 1:51 am
(13) Chris says:

What I was thinking of trying is using a Router and a Layer 3 switch. The cable modem would be connected directly to the L3 switch. The L3 switch would be connected to a router and various PCs. I would direct IPv6 traffic directly through the L3 Switch and to the cable modem, while directing IPv4 traffic through the L3 Switch, through the router [to perform NAT] and back to the cable modem via the L3 Switch.

Internet <– Cable Modem <– L3 Switch <– PC (IPv6)
Internet <– Cable Modem <– L3 Switch <– Router <– L3 Switch <– PC (IPv4)

Now, if only Cisco would support NAT on the 3560…