1. Computing

Bradley Mitchell

The 30-30-30 Hard Reset Rule for Routers

By March 11, 2009

Essentially all broadband routers used for home networking provide a reset switch, often a very small, recessed button on the back of the unit. This button allows you to override the current state of the device and restore it to the default settings it had when it was first manufactured.

Some people don't realize that pressing a router's reset button for just a second or two may do nothing. Depending on the type of router and its current state (including the nature of any problems it may have), you may need to hold down the button longer. Networking enthusiasts have developed this so-called 30-30-30 hard reset procedure that should fully reset any home router to its default settings at any time. Follow these steps to perform a router hard reset:

1. when the unit is powered on, hold down its reset button for 30 seconds
    2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds
    3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds
After this process (a total of 90 seconds) is complete, your router should be restored to its factory default state. Note that your particular router may not require the full 30-30-30 procedure. For example, some routers can at times be hard reset after only 10 seconds and without power cycling. Nevertheless, I still recommended memorizing this 30-30-30 rule as a general guideline.
Comments
March 18, 2009 at 5:57 pm
(1) george says:

read any supplied materials that came with your particular model. For example, My old Asante friendlynet required a jumpered reset.

March 23, 2009 at 6:29 pm
(2) Randy says:

Remember, this only applies to dchp configurations,static I.P. users will loose their numbers

February 27, 2010 at 10:12 pm
(3) Subby says:

Thanks! I was holding my reset for not long enough with nothing happening. But this is pretty cool guy. Thanks 4 da tip.

March 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm
(4) Mark says:

Great advice. Worked on my Linksys wireless router after being unable to access the default IP address to change its config setting. The 90 sec procedure fixed a problem I had been working on for over an hour. Many thanks

September 14, 2010 at 10:21 am
(5) Mircea says:

Yessss it works!
My wrt54g was in a cyclic reboot mode and this method just un-bricked my router !

February 2, 2011 at 11:21 am
(6) steveh says:

Tried the 30-30-30 on my Linksys E2000 without success. All I get is the flashing power (blue light) in bottom right hand corner of device. Tried 3 different cables between cable modem and Desktop (as well as laptop) to confirm cables work. When I connect cables between router and computers, I get no internet.

February 15, 2011 at 4:43 am
(7) Sandy G says:

You had save my life….I was gone mad about my router.

April 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(8) M@Rio says:

After a long period absolutely “dead” my WRT300N is back to activitie.
Thank you so much !!!
Regards,
M@Rio

December 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm
(9) ACA says:

YOU ARE THE KING, work on wrt120N … thanks man

January 31, 2012 at 1:28 am
(10) Bob C says:

So I was trying to update the firmware on my E3000, and at 98% complete it failed. I have not done anything yet but I’m about to try your instructions to see if it works. Right now I can still access the internet, but I cannot access the admin screens. I can still ping the router too.

Before I do anything, I need to hunt down a TFTP client. I will also try these instructions (http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-fix-a-bricked-linksys-router/) if the 30/30/30 doesn’t work.

January 31, 2012 at 1:53 am
(11) Bob C says:

The 30/30/30 trick worked like a charm.

When the router came back up, it was at the firmware version that I was trying to update it to when it locked up.

Thanks for the post!!

March 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm
(12) Eric says:

Mine won’t work. Tried the hard reset. Didn’t do anything.Except for a few sparks when I plugged it back in. I guess the ice pick I stabbed it with was shorting out.

April 11, 2012 at 10:52 pm
(13) BobbyD says:

LOL @ Eric

Thanks for the info!

October 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm
(14) Jim says:

FYI: On the Linksys E2500, the reset button is on the bottom. Kept hitting the refresh button on the back of the router until I realized what I was doing wrong.

November 12, 2012 at 1:13 am
(15) mateen says:

does it work to the modem if its firmware is updated from original to any other kindly help me in this reagard

i have updated the firm ware of my mode huwaei echolife hg 520b
and now unable to open its page

how can i reset it to original frimware with its factory setting ?

pllzzzz help

February 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm
(16) Nipu says:

I have netgear Prosafe FSM726V3 manageable switch. I have tried to update its firmware. But it failed at the last moment. Then I rebooted the switch from Web login. But that was its last reboot. After the reboot, switch lights never became green. Its still yellow. And its not working right now. I tried to reset it by pressing reset button and 30-30-30 sytem. Nothing worked. I think its buil-tin O/S is damaged…. Is there anything I can do?

April 14, 2013 at 7:35 pm
(17) Dee says:

I have a BEFSR41 model Linksys and at least once a week I cannot access internet without unplugging and plugging it back it.

I’m a senior so make the answer easy. LOL

thanks,

April 14, 2013 at 7:42 pm
(18) Dee says:

Don’t think this came thru first time. I have a Linksys router model BEFSR41. at least once a week I can’t connect to internet without unplugging and plugging back in the router. Any suggestions? I’m a senior so keep it simple. LOL

June 11, 2013 at 4:21 am
(19) jurij says:

I know the famous rule 30/30/30 from DD-WRT pages when I had changed firmware from original Linksys to DD-WRT. But my doubt is as follows: first and last 30 seconds intervals are understandable (press reset button during power is on and still holding reset button while turn on power), but the second 30 seconds interval is questionable. The reason is as you wrote (or better guys from DD-WRT wrote)

The only moment (and short moments after) during unpluging power or supply voltage could be important when microprocessor has still enough supply voltage and can execute power interrupt routine. Later on because the router has no supply voltages the microprocessor inside can’t do anything and is pointless holding pressed reset button for another 30 seconds. But as general rule it’s acceptable.

My router is Linksys WRT 160NL.

June 27, 2013 at 6:33 am
(20) wTEE says:

I’ve an old ASUS WL-500 , and during the firmware flashing getting some problems. After that I can’t open the browser anymore. i tried with 192.168.0.1 , …1.1 , and also my last IP-address set to the router, 192.168.10.1 ; I can ping the 192.168.10.1
I’ve another router (from UPC) with the IP-adress 192.168.10.2 and is working correctly (incl. the internet).
Trying the 30-30-30 reset, still unsuccesfully.
Some one can HELP me, need the ASUS for Printing thru the USB port.

July 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm
(21) Precious says:

I used this rule to reset my modem because I keep getting unsolicited calls from telemarketers and I have a new unlisted, number that third party and collections can’t call. But they’re able to call anyway. I believe it’s because they have a digital lock on my modem. I told Time Warmer about it and know this is why they’re able to call me even after changing my number three times and having every block imaginable on it. So, I did this to reset my modem. Hope it works.

September 3, 2013 at 11:11 am
(22) Nicki says:

I tried this on my linksys WAG120N several times. I still get internet but I cannot access the admin screen :(

September 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(23) easy ways to lose weight off your legs says:

Hello, the whole thing is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that’s in fact
fine, keep up writing.

Also visit my blog post :: <a href=”http://loseweightleg.com”>easy ways to lose weight off your legs</a>

October 9, 2013 at 4:32 am
(24) Ic3Tea says:

Thank you very much !! It works.

Unbelievably, It sounds impossible method to rest router. However, I tried to reset it, but nothing method could until I used this.

January 23, 2014 at 3:27 am
(25) twix says:

Thank you for the info. It solves our problem. I can now access the net on my mobile. God bless.

January 24, 2014 at 6:12 am
(26) Akash Kanodia says:

Thanks a ton man! Works on the i-Ball Baton [wireless router]! :D

February 17, 2014 at 2:09 pm
(27) yummy says:

This didn’t work and I wasted 30 trying this method

February 19, 2014 at 7:07 pm
(28) Paul Richardson says:

I would STRONGLY recommend that you (as a rule) attempt a 30-reset, prior to a 30-30-30. For the difference between these, see this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Reset_And_Reboot for the potential consequences, in some (less common) cases, see here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

February 20, 2014 at 1:45 pm
(29) phineas j. whoopie says:

Yummy: If you just wasted 30 seconds you didn’t do it right. You should waste 90 seconds.

February 27, 2014 at 5:14 am
(30) Tracy says:

Just wanted to comment that some routers may need an additional power reset before the 30/30/30 “takes”.

By that, I mean to do the 30/30/30 & see if the router is functioning. If it isn’t, then unplug the power cable & wait a couple of minutes. Then, plug the power back in & try to access the router’s admin page again.

That’s how my Linksys E1500 works.

HTHs somebody out there. :)

April 18, 2014 at 7:29 pm
(31) www.youtube.com says:

Hi mates, its fantastic piece of writing on the topic of teachingand completely explained, keep it up all the
time.