1. Computing

Bradley Mitchell

What Is Bonjour?

By December 9, 2008

Bonjour is a network discovery technology developed by Apple, Inc. It allows computers and printers to automatically find and connect to each other's services using a new communication protocol, saving time and simplifying tasks such as file sharing and setting up printers.

Apple computers running newer versions of Mac OS X support Bonjour as a capability embedded in various network applications such as the Web browser (Safari), iTunes, and Back To My Mac. Additionally, Apple provides a Bonjour service for Microsoft Windows PCs as a free software download on apple.com. The technology is based on Internet Protocol (IP), allowing it to work with both wired and wireless networks.

More - Bonjour - Developer Connection (apple.com)
Comments
May 5, 2009 at 11:32 pm
(1) caseyatbat says:

I have Windows XP-2 Home Edition. Do I really need Bonjour? Why?

February 15, 2010 at 3:38 am
(2) G says:

You don’t need Bonjour. It’s a piece of Apple “bloatware” that sucks down CPU cycles needlessly. Offers very little return for its investment.

July 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm
(3) RobinCM says:

Bonjour can cause network issues on Windows, stopped my computer seeing the internet. Disabling it fixed the network problem, see windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/7408-fix-unidentified-network-no-internet-access.html

August 4, 2011 at 1:59 am
(4) Pat says:

I have a dell computer and wireless printer, both new. The network printer frequently does not work. I receive messages that say BONJOUR has stopped working. I assume this is what why it will not print . How does one fix this issue… It tell the file causing problem is in DNSResponse.exe. I am not good at computers anyone tell me what to do it is frustrating

November 7, 2011 at 10:08 am
(5) kalinic says:

Causes Windows7/Vista network problems.

I.e. your network card cannot connect to the router.

Drove me foookin mad for months

December 8, 2012 at 8:06 am
(6) Jesper Lillieskold says:

Some older adobe softwares installs an old version not intended for operating system of use. This makes windows networking and tcp/ip default gateway problems at random. Adobes fault if u ask me, they did not say the Bonjour vas going to be installed when installied Indesign

Install new Bonjour from Apple solved my problem..

April 5, 2013 at 1:58 am
(7) Terrence says:

Hey Guys… simpleton here…. please help, if you can.
My Situation – I am running a Windows desktop which I need for work purposes, its’ a long story but a full switch to Mac just proved a costly lesson that I cannot run Mac and the rest of my company on Windows… I bought a MBPro for work purposes and an MBAir for my personal use. Thoughts were that I would be able to use them and be able to share files on my NAS server. After feeling the grey hairs popping through my scalp I conceded and gave up. I eventually sold my MBPro and went back to a Thinkpad which has sorted my problems. I could not see any work servers with my Mac due the difference between Apple and Windows’ file protocols… I have however retained my MBAir, which I use for my personal use.

My Wishlist – I would love to be able to create and use a folder which I can access with my MBAir (even if it is just one) on my NAS server.

Any thoughts, help?

Please

April 17, 2013 at 4:29 pm
(8) Gordon says:

Terrence,

Use Dropbox (a free download) to be able to share/sync files folders wirelessly between PC / Mac / Tablet / Phone. Check it out. I have just started using it for my business. I use PC for most everything at the home base, but use iPhones and iPads on the road to manage my business/events. Powerful stuff…

Gordon