1. Computing

Bradley Mitchell

AT&T's $10 USD Cheapest DSL Now Available

By June 23, 2007

... if you can get it, and so-called naked DSL is allegedly coming in six months.

The name of the new cheap DSL service plan that has U.S. consumers excited is FastAccess DSL Lite. As expected, some terms and conditions apply. You must qualify as a new customer, sign up for a 12-month contract, and place your order online. The plan is also available only in certain U.S. states, does not include the cost of bundled residential telephone service, and supports only a maximum data rate of 768 Kbps.

Still interested? Not unexpectedly, AT&T isn't promoting this offer prominently on their Web sites. You won't see the $10 option until several pages into the online application form. Read carefully!

Comments
January 18, 2008 at 3:50 pm
(1) mike sorkin says:

‘Naked DSL’: how to find and get the best price
By Michael Sorkin
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
Friday, Jan. 18 2008

Here’s something you should know when you order DSL service from AT&T: The
company sells the same speed Internet service at $10, $15 and $20 per month.

— The $14.99 service is called Basic DSL and is the easiest to get. Anyone with
an AT&T landline phone can order it by phone or online.

— The $10 DSL service can be ordered only online, and hundreds of consumers
have had trouble signing up for this, the company’s cheapest-ever DSL. AT&T
says it won’t sell it to anyone who is already an AT&T Internet customer.

— The newest Internet service is called DSL Direct Basic and costs $19.95. It
can be ordered only through an AT&T call center, but some sales reps say they
have never heard of it.

There are four DSL Direct plans; the $19.95 version is the cheapest and
slowest. The Direct plans are the only ones AT&T will sell consumers without
AT&T landlines.

This type of service is known as “naked DSL.”

Each DSL Direct plan costs at least $4 more per month than the same plan for
customers who have AT&T landline phones.

DSL users don’t need a phone; Internet service works fine without one.

AT&T is free to charge the higher prices because Internet rates are unregulated.

As for the $10, $15 and $20 Internet plans described above, all are rated at
the same speed: up to 768 Kbps downstream. That’s too slow for downloading
movies but may be fine for e-mailing or Internet surfing.

Why charge three prices for the same speed?

AT&T spokesman Andy Shaw says customers have different needs. It’s not unusual,
he says, for companies to offer different customers different prices.

AT&T offered $10 DSL reluctantly. The company already was charging higher
prices for Internet service and had no incentive to offer it so cheaply.

As for naked DSL, AT&T wants to sell you as many services as possible:
landline, Internet, cell phone and video. That’s called bundling. Naked lets
consumers avoid bundling by choosing only what they want.

But about a year ago, the Federal Communications Commission required AT&T to
offer the lower-cost services in exchange for approving its purchase of
BellSouth.

AT&T began quietly offering $10 DSL about midyear on its website. AT&T said it
would not provide a phone number or e-mail address for anyone needing help.

By the end of the year, the company also began offering naked DSL. It is
quickly gaining popularity with the growing number of computer users who have
traded landlines for cells.

The FCC is requiring AT&T to offer a naked DSL plan for less than $20. An AT&T
spokesman said last month that consumers shouldn’t sign up for the $19.95
service online or by calling. He told them to go to company stores.

That advice turned out to be wrong, and Savvy received more than a dozen
complaints.

Mindy Lynn Thomason, a financial analyst from St. Charles, hurried to an AT&T
store, where “they told me I could only sign up by calling.”

She called — and reached a sales rep who said he couldn’t help her.

This week, AT&T’s Shaw offered different advice: He said to sign up for the
$19.95 Direct Basic only through a company call center.

That $19.95 plan is AT&T’s cheapest naked DSL service — and the only one for
which the company requires a 12-month contract. The other plans are
month-to-month.

AT&T’s site says to call 1-800-288-2020 to sign up for its more expensive DSL
Direct plans ($23.99 to $38.99.) We reached a sales rep who said he knew
nothing about any such plans and transferred us to 1-800-264-0002.

As first reported by hearusnow.org on the Consumers Union website, AT&T is
asking callers seeking naked DSL to provide their AT&T landline phone number.
We were asked three times.

But consumers who want naked DSL won’t have a landline — and don’t want one.
That’s why they want naked.

“They want to sell you a phone line,” Thomason said after her experience.

She says after nearly a day, she finally connected with a sales rep who signed
her up for AT&T’s $28.99 Direct Pro DSL plan. Service started this week, and
she’s delighted.

But she chides the company for making it so hard: “They do a good job of hiding
it.”

We called AT&T’s Shaw, who responded:

“I apologize. We want everyone who calls in to be a customer. The vast majority
of these orders work. Sometimes we make a mistake, and we try to fix it.”

msorkin@post-dispatch.com | 314-340-8347
It’s a real chore to find the unbundled DSL price that’s advertised, but here is the direct link.

July 25, 2008 at 5:57 am
(2) Chet Valdes says:

Another negative point in the small print is they make you buy their rather expensive modem- no way around it.

June 30, 2010 at 3:26 am
(3) ttyeternity says:

I am having to cut back on bills… so was thinking of getting rid of my home line… but I have DSL with Bellsouth as well as my home phone. I also have a alarm company NSC.. they can come hook up something for me if I get rid of my home line. Can I just have a line for DSL? Or is there some other company that has it all cheaper? Help… I am a damsel in distress.. and need help. Was thinking of Vonage anyone have any ideas on that?> Thanks for letting to comment here..
Blessings,
T

July 15, 2010 at 11:28 am
(4) Herb says:

I was a BellSouth customer in S.C. and had to quote the agreement between FCC and AT&T before I could get the $10 DSL. The modem per the agreement was supposed to be free as well but the representative said this was not the case but I eventually I was rebated the modem cost. Altho’ AT&T now says the $10 fee expired as of Dec 09, I was still paying $10 until April 10 and now pay $15 per month. I did not complain about the increase as I was afraid they would charge me more. Have been happy with the service. Compared to dialup which I previously had it’s the difference between day & night! I was paying $6 per month for dialup plus $4 for a service that offered notification of callers that I was online which required call forwarding on busy service for $2 per month so the total cost was around $12 per month. I was able to save $6 per month by dropping the forwarding service program. The $10 DSL was a win/win for me.

September 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm
(5) Megan says:

Beware of the link offered by Mike Sorsen below as it – it looks to be a spam site. The links to ATT offers take you off of the “att sign up” site. Click at your own risk!

January 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(6) rock says:

att those lying crocks the list one price that the changed to another thy will try to force you to more pricey plan or sell you the bundles you dont need naked dsl and ther adds are a fraud iam sure they will get the sued ,no there is no 14.99 or 19.99 minimum is 29.99 per month tlus $75 modem PLus 35 activation so for first 12 month you pay $40 per month monimum the suck

June 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(7) Seb says:

att is the worst company. I left them for a different wireless company (although the iphone was great, att service, customer service, technical support) was totally incompentent. And they were totally not interested in working something out for a customer leaving. Even the last seconds on the phone with them they were irrespectful. They are robbers. They charged me service I dont even know what it was on my bill, 5 months in a row, and each tme I called to cancel…

I kept the DSL for a bit, but same thing there, they re just money leecher, dont give a s**t about the satisfaction of customer. And if something is not working, well , you can still pay your bill and shut up, coz they wont do anything to take responsibility. Today I am cancelling for good.

July 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm
(8) Philip Shaner says:

Wow! Can anyone tell who was first (in the U.S.) to design this program to rob and bleed every customer with no regard to fairness or honesty? Was it the politicians, or was it a copy of the AT&T bond salesmen?

September 20, 2013 at 10:12 am
(9) Meri Iacobucci says:

Thanks for your ideas you may have shared right right here. Some thing else I would appreciate to mention is the fact that particular personal computer storage space demands generally go up in addition to other advancements within just the technological innovation. As an case in point, any time new generations of processors are made inside the marketplace, there is certainly absolutely usually a associated improve in the selection telephone telephone calls for of all pc technique reminiscence plus very difficult disk region. This might be due to the fact the software application software program operated by purely

September 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm
(10) Michael Howery says:

I had uverse tv and internet I caneled tv but lady said I could upgrade my internet for 35 dollars a month with year commintment First bill was low because got part month back for tv.I didn,t realize they didn,t lower my internet to 35 until second month bill is 62 dollars.I called they had no knowledge about 35 a month offer and would not honor it They Asked why I canceled tv and told them I was getting tv with anntenna.After she basically called me a lier about 35 dollar a month offer she tried to sell me tv again for 80 dollars so I said can you beat free?I said I would cancel but no options except I down graded to lower speed.I

September 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm
(11) Michael Howery says:

Att told me if I commited to a year I could upgrade my internet for 35 a month.It was when I canceled uverse tv because we watch mostly over the air.First bill was low since I was getting a partial month back on tv service.Didn,t know until second month when got bill for 62 dollars wasnt getting 35 a month internet.I called att and the lady basically called me lier and tried to sell me tv again for 80 after I told her we didn,t wach all those channels.I said what part of free tv don,t you understand!!Told her I would cancel internet but not too many options so I downgraded. Never has a company lied to me My opinion is Att is a crooked company.

February 26, 2014 at 1:25 am
(12) http://www.webinar-jam.com says:

So a rare condition but never thee less a difficult
condition tto treat, an interesting condition.
Joe has written three books, the newest of wwhich is titled Epic
Content Marketing. At this point you can begin tto let the group dynamic take over.