1. Computing

| FAQ | If your wired or wireless (yes, wireless) network is not functioning properly, you may see "A Network Cable Is Unplugged" messages appear repeatedly on the Windows desktop. Learn more about this problem and how to stop these annoying messages from occuring.
How to Enable or Disable Network Connections in Windows XP
Comments
April 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm
(1) Francisco says:

The fix found in this site worked perfectly:

* Media State Disconnected
* Ethernet Cable unplugged

I have had the same problem and spent days scouring Google and trying any suggestion that I could find. Last night I found a post from 2002. It seemed ridiculous but I gave it a shot. PROBLEM SOLVED.

1.) Shut dowm your PC.
2.) Unplug the power cord.
3.) If you have a laptop, remove the battery as well.
4.) Walk away from the problem for at least 30 minutes.
5.) When you return, reconnect battery and power cord.
5.) Start as usual.
6.) If this solves the problem, take 20 minutes and post this to all of those message boards that you didn’t find the solution to.

This fix appears to work for any OS/MOBO/NIC.

What causes it? I don’t know.

Have a great day! :)

March 26, 2012 at 10:10 am
(2) spencer says:

Cant believe this simple solution worked for me too!

May 29, 2012 at 8:43 am
(3) Stewart says:

Sure fire solution, thank you!!

June 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm
(4) Teena says:

It works.

June 7, 2013 at 2:15 am
(5) MidNTSuRFr says:

You have got to be kidding me! I have been uninstalling drivers, reinstalling, removing hardware, redetecting hardware, plugging and unplugging the network cable, etc. for 2 days! This solution worked! The only thing I did differently was that I didn’t want to wait 30 minutes so I unplugged the power cord then held in the power button, plugged in the power cord, waited for 5 seconds to energize the capacitors, then fired it up. Immediately I saw the link and activity lights come on.

Thanks very much for the helpful advice!

August 26, 2013 at 4:14 pm
(6) Jan says:

It worked! Thanks for posting a simple solution to a frustrating problem.

September 12, 2013 at 10:20 am
(7) chandreyi says:

@MidNTSuRFr could you explain what you did coz this did not work for my PC