From the article: 10 Tips for Wireless Home Network Security
Have you been the victim of a hacker who compromised your wireless network? Without proper wireless network security precautions in place, you can easily have valuable personal data stolen, your computers infected with spyware and crashed, or just be randomly harassed. If you've experienced such an attack, tell us what happened and what measures you've taken to protect against future network security problems. Have You Been a Victim?
Signed into another console
- I was playing Xbox then... boom, disconnect. I was confused, logged back in then it says my account was signed into another console. This happened for over 60 times, then mystery-like it goes away and affects my friend, then his friend, and so on.
- —Guest ihatehackers
- Whole bunch of crazy stories of impossible "hacking" exploits... You nuts weren't "hacked." No one is bumping your locks... --- let alone bumping MEDECOs --- just to harass... .
- —Guest Burned-out Tech Support guy
Breached, by neighbor
- I [first] got hacked thru the wireless network. Now I'm being breached thru Bluetooth. The next door neighbor's computer is in range of mine, and he's a hacker.
- —Guest peterStralia
Beware local computer service shops
- After reading so many of the posts on this page I feel somewhat relieved and vindicated. My story is a little different but I think even more important because it involves someone we usually always trust and at least in my case depend on. That person is your local computer merchant/retailer/guru/??? friend ???. The sad fact is people the lure of hacking and control is very much a drug to many people and no one is apparently immune. I purchased a used laptop... . Yes, it was used but it immaculate condition and because of my "relationship" with the merchant, I've been going there for the last couple years, I thought my loyalty was being rewarded when he offered it to me... .
- —Guest alleycatprodesign
Iphone and Facebook hack
- I've been hacked thru Facebook messages and my Iphone. They send messages to people I have in my phone. They sent pictures thru Internet sites and called my phone blocked every min for 2 hours. Sending messages by different e-mail addresses and text messages by different numbers. This ... is crazy and now I'm on a serious manhunt for these people. When I find [them] it is going to be a good time. I don't care if it's two nerds or if it's two old ladies... .
- —Guest Fella
Wireless home alarm system jammers?
- I need help defeating a jammer on my wireless alarm system. I set it they continually come into house- changed locks- medeco bumped. iPhone hacked. How do they do this without access ? Computers have been at their access daily. No proof but everything in house moved around and some personnel stuff removed... .
- —Guest Karyn k
- My MacBook was hacked. I believe it was someone I know and trusted. I'm pretty sure it is a Trojan Rat? This person downloaded a couple songs on my MacBook maybe a Trojan attached to one of them? A couple days later Is when I noticed I was being hacked when I opened my Keylogger (I installed a couple yrs ago when I thought my ex was cheating on me) and noticed some really weird things ie. at the time my friend was on my laptop it showed some weird folders being accessed through Safari which I don't think we're ever on my laptop before and other little things like she was tying msgs in code or something but it didn't seem sus at the time because she was looking up songs on YouTube as well. When i discovered that I had been hacked, I stupidly sent her a text. Now they know I know and heaps of weird ... has been happening including iPhone doing heaps of weird stuff. Lot of people acting weird around me now and I'm feeling really paranoid and suss about everything. Such a terrible feeling... .
- —Guest Scotty
Crazy world of hackers...
- Yes I was one of the unlucky ones that have been hacked. My iPhone, laptops, and iPad. They play games, locking me out of my email accts, changing passwords, and security questions. I was inundated with porn spam. I had conversations going on, that were not mine. My iPhone was bugged, the mic turned on and they listened to conversations I had. Boxes showed up at my door, relating to what they heard from my phone. Or email sent, what they heard me talk on my phone. I was tracked 24/7. Don't let any1 say iPhones are not vulnerable, it's a lie. App I filled out on line, we're altered, sent to wrong address. Orders sent to wrong address, text messg sent to wrong people, photos I did not send, said I sent. Messg I got sent to me, alerting me that they were watching/ listening.. Yes, I'm hacked. Tried all to rid this POS, but they return..they will find you again, with new number, new phone, new email. Or spoof a number. They will get it all again. They are alerted to your number change.
- —Guest Infinity
Months of stalking via Bluetooth (pt 2)
- I know this is long but I want to get my story out there... We moved due to feeling unsafe, our cable box was acting strange The hhome phone had a Bluetooth function we didn't know about until we saw the phones lit up and consulted the manual. It was on intercom and synced with a cell/PC. One night we heard strange noises and it said on the light on the old fashioned battery cord phone that the line was in use and had been picked up in another part of the house. Police did not assist.. and said they'd check our house. Of course, nobody was there. We left to go live in a hotel. We hired a computer specialist to come out right before this and miraculously every keylogger program etc, and trace of them (inc themselves as the sole admin of the computer) was gone. Lived w/o cell phones or computer for 3 months. We moved in, got new computers, but it's starting again. So anyone out there going through this, you are not alone,hang in there. Don't let them win. Life is more than technology.
Months of being stalked via Bluetooth
- All started with a computer crashing and resetting to factory standards with a fake antivirus. Hacked wireless home network despite high security measures. Watched 5 computers mouse move, webcams/microphones run, pictures /documents transferred and strange hardware/multiple Bluetooth devices installed. Modem/router was ripped out of wall but desktop still hacked as hacker got in via Bluetooth and installed root kit in partition of hard drive, which Dban DOES NOT ERASE. Meanwhile our iPhone and Android phones as well as every phone Bluetooth enabled and a few that had bt off in our vicinity was hacked with apps running that could not be disabled. New sim card, new phone,didn't matter - camera took pics, played music, did not ring, strange calls&texts on regular basis with strange voicemails. The house was broken in to morning after comp hack was reported, police did not take serious as no $ stolen. Began to notice someone had been in our house, things moved around and a few things such as a picture, song lyrics stolen.
There is a hacker in my laptop
- I don't know what they're doing in my laptop. Pity me, they know all my friends. I chat and I don't have privacy. Why are they doing this to me? I spent money for my antivirus but still they penetrate the system. This is not right. Why do they continue hacking my laptop - they have no right. Please not me, I'm not a bad woman.
- —Guest Angely M. Baje
- Ex-friends used my identity for financial and personal gain. Bankrupted us. Lost my family, friends respect at home because all my family thought I was nuts. Ex-friends find it funny, I find it sad. While they go to jail, I just go. I have nothing left and nothing left to lose. I still see something good in two of them and tried to help them, but they don't believe I really know. Now in authorities hands so time will show them. But I'm done. When you have nothing left theres no reason to keep trying. Families out there: Listen look and learn. Don't turn your backs on loved ones or something just because you may not see it or understand it. It may really exist and you can educate yourselves like I did with over 150 hours of learning and getting help looking. I have learned so much about PCs but regretfully also what kind of people might call themselves friends. They have no conscience - just greed. Pretty sad. I hope even one sees what they did to me and not do it to anyone else.
- —Guest Karen
The Algerian Hacker attack
- I was studying for my exam this morning, and I opened my laptop and checked an English preposition page. After a few minutes, when I go on Google, it says "Algerian Hacker" ... and I can't search nothing on Google Chrome. I ddn't know what to do... close my network, close laptop, reopened and so on, and then wireless didn't work. Now neither my PC or laptop works. It gives errors on Google search and on the laptop it says "Algerian Hacker." [Ed: News outlets confirmed both Google (google.ro) and Yahoo (yahoo.ro) home pages in Romania were hijacked by hackers - this person's system was not individually attacked]
- —Guest Guest10000000000000
Providers and authorities are no help
- My phone has been hacked for a while. My phone provider is useless. All they say is to change my phone number! It cost me a fortune to do that each time! I get texts from women that say they talked to me on line. I get tons of unwanted ads and one singles site has even recorded this person's voice and they even have his bank information when he signed up but they are not doing any thing to stop this criminal! Just because he is spending money on their singles site. These days with so much info available on line, any one can hack into your account and steal your identity without getting cought! What the law enforcement are doing? They are doing nothing to stop these hackers, criminals to help normal citizens! They go after and stop those who hack into a big rich company but not the poor every day people!
- —Guest hanghackers
A phone based takeover
- Well, I first noticed when we shut down the home network - AT&T Uverse. Then all the red flags came...I went to my daughter's computer to share my phone Internet and there was Bluetooth on remote access, and someone named "creator" in her browser. I couldn't believe this, so I looked further. Our Xbox license was taken and then her phone locks up. I had to go to the store and get a new sim. While driving outside my area my phone goes crazy and I lose my phone network! It gets worse...after talking to T-Mobile for the 12th time in a week they tell me to get a new sim and go as far as sending me a new phone (I don't want this phone - Windows HTC Radar) linked to my home computer and Xbox. Then they tell me someone is accessing my marketplace buying all kinds of music apps and games, etc. Then I do a factory reset losing everything I notice on my settings @home wildcard (SSID) under Tmobile known networks. Later we get a new network that we still don't use and go to set up, it says it's a wap2 ppo... (?)
- —Guest HELP
1-15 of 35Next