Are you a student looking for ideas on computer networking term projects? An instructor looking for suggestions to offer their class? School projects in networking may involve areas like
- design - determining optimal configurations and tuning for different types of networks
- performance - measuring network speed under varying conditions
- security - assessing the effectiveness of techniques to protect networks from attack
Some projects seem like good ideas at the time but turn out later to be a disaster. Share your suggestions for any student projects you recommend avoiding as well as those you think are worthwhile. Share Your Ideas
Something about routing
- I can design a network system by using static routing and dynamic routing.
- I was given measuring network speed under varying conditions as my project topic but couldn't find my way around it.
B/w segregation between voice and data
- Hi Concerns
...If some one want to make a small call centre:
1. they have 4mbps link
2. they required 4mbps link segregated between voice and data.
3. they have Cisco 1911 router
4. they have one Dlink switch.
[the goal is] to configure the bandwidth between voice and data... .
- —Guest Raj Singh
Creating a Web site
- I'd like to create a Web site that serves as a shopping platform for all the products produced by a particular organisation.
New network protocol design
- I would like to create new protocol i.e avoids all problems of TCP UDP
- —Guest Vikram
Configuring computers to work as routers
- Configuring a system to work as a router is a good hands-on work. And you can also try to configure for a firewall, NAT, etc.
- —Guest Abhinay Vishwakarma
Projects for free Bluetooth phone calls
- Try this: Ideas for making phone calls on mobiles through Bluetooth without paying any charges.
- —Guest Mohit
Expanding a network
- I'm looking for some basic ideas on how to expand your network with high quality. I am an undergraduate. -Nitisha
- —Guest elilta tewelde
Network alerts project
- I have been given a project to trigger an email whenever a problem arises in a network. I have no idea where to start and how to proceed, however.
- I would be interested to see project ideas for developing new software on Linux.
Some project ideas (networks + security)
- Can try the following on networking and security.
1. Deploy and configure a webserver and it's dependency on DNS server
2. Usage of packet injector tools
3. Design and develop a port scanner
4. Attacking a WLAN network with minimal and no security
5. Design and develop a UDP bomb software.
6. Study on Issues and mitigations of the ARP protocol
7. NAT issues with IPSec.
- —Guest sachin
How about tracking devices?
- I would be interested in tracking devices... how are they installed and are there any limitations on them.
- —Guest marline
Some basic topic areas
- You can look into LAN/MAN/WAN, network interface cards, microwave towers... .
- —Guest neenu
Look into intelligent networks
- Hi... I've been working and studying computer networks for several years.
If my ideas concerned, I have to mention that apart from those categories like Network design, Network security and Network Performance there are also other activities involved like Intelligent Networks which are of utmost importance these days, a combination of artificial intelligence and network engineering or working on the field of producing soft wares to manage networks which needs an in-depth knowledge of software engineering and network engineering.
Also there is one another and is working on the subject of network internet-working which means go inside the architecture of OSI/RM or TCP/IP layers and even to produce a new concept.
- —Guest Morteza Moghaddassian
- I'm interested in presentations on network topologies.
- —Guest AMIT KUMAR
Avoid design overkill
- Also make sure that your network design isn't overkill, because it may affect how much you are going to pay just for the equipment setup itself.
- —Guest Bryan