- one kilobit per second (Kbps) equals 1000 bits per second (bps). (Note: Kbps is sometimes also written as “kbps” - both carry the same meaning.)
- one megabit per second (Mbps) equals 1000 Kbps or one million bps.
- one gigabit per second (Gbps) equals 1000 Mbps or one million Kbps or one billion bps.
Data rates for non-network equipment are sometimes shown in bytes per second (Bps) rather than bits per second. In those cases,
- one KBps equals one kilobyte per second
- one MBps equals one megabyte per second, and
- one GBps equals one gigabyte per second
Finally, one kilobyte per second equals 8 kilobits per second.