Types of Cloud ComputingService providers create cloud computing systems to serve common business or research needs. Examples of cloud computing services include:
- virtual IT - configure and utilize remote, third-party servers as extensions to a company's local IT network
- software - utilize commercial software applications, or develop and remotely host custom built applications
- network storage - back up or archive data across the Internet to a provider without needing to know the physical location of storage
Examples of Cloud Computing ServicesThese examples illustrate the different types of cloud computing services available today:
- Amazon EC2 - virtual IT
- Google App Engine - application hosting
- Google Apps - software as a service
- Apple MobileMe - network storage
Cloud Computing Pros and ConsService providers are responsible for installing and maintaining core technology within the cloud. Some customers prefer this model because it limits their own manageability burden. However, customers cannot directly control system stability in this model and are highly dependent on the provider instead.
Cloud computing systems are normally designed to closely track all system resources, which enables providers to charge customers according to the resources each consumes. Some customers will prefer this so-called metered billing approach to save money, while others will prefer a flat-rate subscription to ensure predictable monthly or yearly costs.
Using a cloud computing environment generally requires you to send data over the Internet and store it on a third-party system. The privacy and security risks associated with this model must be weighed against alternatives.