1. Technology

Bradley Mitchell

VPN Error 619 Explained

By November 28, 2009

Another common error you may see when working with a Microsoft Windows based virtual private network is VPN error 619 - "A connection to the remote computer could not be established." (With some older VPN servers, the error message says "The port was disconnected.") Like VPN error 800, error 619 can happen either when trying to establish a new connection to a VPN server or when suddenly disconnected. If you encounter it, check the following:
  • If two or more VPN clients are installed on the computer, ensure only one is running to avoid conflicts. Check both for running applications and also for Windows services.
  • Firewalls and antivirus programs may be running that block access to the VPN ports. Temporarily disable these to troubleshoot.
  • Try other standard repairs and troubleshooting steps - reboot the client computer, delete and re-install the VPN client configuration settings, and find others who have working setups to compare for network configuration differences
Have you seen and/or resolved any VPN error 619 problems?

More - Common VPN Error Codes Explained
Comments
February 7, 2010 at 1:50 am
(1) M Sanaullah says:

Thanks…
Problem is resolved.

April 1, 2010 at 2:59 am
(2) Pål says:

Sometimes a home router can be the source of the problem. It may not handle PPTP or L2TP with address translation.

October 19, 2010 at 1:55 am
(3) Phil W says:

As Pål says above, the actual connection may prevent VPN tunnels.

If you’re trying to VPN away from where you normally do (hotel wifi) try a different connection if possible.

Switching to our 3g dongles worked around an issue at an industry event for us.

February 7, 2011 at 3:44 am
(4) Kandadi says:

Thanks guys I had the Stateful firewall ON on the Cisco VPn hence it was throwing error 619 once i disable stateful firewall the issue resolved itself.

August 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm
(5) Omoronovo says:

Certain VPN software (and routers that support hosted VPN services) don’t support passwords longer than 10 digits.

I was getting error 619 until I shortened my password.

August 8, 2011 at 4:44 am
(6) Roooon says:

can agree with Omoronovo – just had this problem on a draytek router.

August 10, 2011 at 9:13 am
(7) nima says:

thnx.
my problem is resolved….

August 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm
(8) Gangadhar says:

I agree with pal,
I resolved this issue by enabling PPTP Pass Through setting in Modem..

September 7, 2011 at 5:10 am
(9) saikrishnaraju says:

Hi pal,

when i am trying to connect to my client vpn i am getting error 619 and i tried all the steps posted by you but still not yet solved ,can you suggest some thing else.

Saikrishnaraju.Konda

September 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm
(10) soudeh says:

I checked all of them but still have a problem and can’t get connected,what should i do now?

November 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm
(11) JDog says:

For cisco routers with an inbound acces-list add the following:
permit gre host 10.1.1.1 any
Where 10.1.1.1 is the remote VPN end point.

January 9, 2012 at 6:55 am
(12) Marcos says:

Hi there,

I have two computers apparently with the same configuration, in the same LAN and trying to establish a vpn connection to the same remote address. One works perfeclty well and the other shows a 619 error. Both have Windows FW activated and both have the same AV SW and config (McAffee).

Does anybody knows how to “log” the vpn con process (as in Cisco VPN client) in a separate Windows? Is there any Win Command that does that?

Thanks!

July 27, 2012 at 9:22 am
(13) Ken says:

Unable to connect after Virgin engineer made some router changes.
After reading the above I went in to Advanced Settings and set “PPTP Pass-Through = Allow” in the Firewall. Now everything is working fine again. Thanks!

August 23, 2012 at 11:56 am
(14) Maito says:

I uninstalled the Symantec Endpoint Protection (antivirus) software provided by my university and that seems to have resolved the issue. So, it seems the firewall and/or antivirus programs are the main source of this error.

August 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm
(15) Patrick says:

Thanks mate … you were really helpfull

January 5, 2013 at 4:03 am
(16) Shahmir Khan says:

I had Avast! Firewall and Malwarebytes Antimalware running, turned both off and it worked.

January 15, 2013 at 3:16 am
(17) Praful says:

I was so worried when I saw this error on my very new laptop.. But as soon as I disabled the security software , I am on internet…

March 7, 2013 at 11:55 pm
(18) amir satari` says:

Thanks – my problem is resolved.

March 12, 2013 at 11:13 pm
(19) jeannie says:

I have a weird situation where I am able to connect to one VPN that uses SSTP protocol without any issue at all, but if I try to use the other VPN (not at the same time obviously) using IKEv2 it errors out with a return code of either 619 or 809. At first I thought perhaps we were blocking some form of VPN on the network (which is what error 809 infers), but I have completely taken down the firewall and allowed all protocols through the gateway, yet I still get the same messages over and over again. All necessary updates have been installed and the anti-virus software has been disabled.

It’s making me insane, Any ideas?

May 5, 2013 at 9:42 pm
(20) beeple says:

in security settings of the vpn connection in windows, allow unsecure connection worked for me

May 28, 2013 at 5:18 pm
(21) Mohsen says:

I get 619 when I try to connect using XP on an Oracle virtualbox machine.

August 24, 2013 at 1:10 am
(22) medical supply store says:

Very useful topic here. I wonder how long to manage this
blog site. You do it out of passion for writing or need?

September 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(23) Shaolin says:

Thanks guys. Logged into my router, went into firewall settings and enabled PPTP pass through. Now able to access my university VPN.

November 22, 2013 at 5:26 am
(24) Elliot Horwood says:

Thanks, the PPTP Pass-Through on virgin superhub worked :)

December 30, 2013 at 6:20 am
(25) Jakke says:

Virgin did a $%^& upgrade of the Superhub and enabled the firewall, disabling PPTP passthrough.
Enabling the PPTP Passthrough got it working again so I can watch US Netflix again with PPTP VPN connections :)

January 1, 2014 at 5:06 pm
(26) Jope says:

I have Telewell TW-EA510v3(c) 3G/4G router. That router causes 619 errors. When I reboot the router VPN connects succesfully. After few hours router may need another reboot.

VPN server in located elsewhere. I tried rebooting VPN server and client computers but only when rebooting Telewell TW-EA510v3(c) 3G/4G VPN connection starts working.