1. Computing

Bradley Mitchell

TCP and UDP Port Numbers for Xbox Live

By November 15, 2008

Xbox 360 Game Console If you use a router and play Internet games over Xbox Live, you may experience some difficulty in maintaining connections. Several different factors can cause this, including outdated router firmware.

The Xbox Live service uses UDP ports 88 and 3074 as well as TCP port 3074 for its IP networking. Some people assume it's necessary to set up port forwarding on the router for these ports to enjoy full Xbox Live connectivity ("NAT Open" status). In many cases, this is untrue as NAT technology typically eliminates the need for manual port forwarding.

If you absolutely need to forward ports for compatibility with your network firewalls, use the three above for Xbox Live.

More - What Is a Port Number?
See also - What Is a DMZ? (alternative to port forwarding)

Xbox 360 Game Console - Photo: Getty Images
Comments
December 6, 2008 at 4:32 am
(1) Stuart says:

HI

Tries that TCP UDP thing but it said the port is already allocated for system use or something like that. PLZ HELP!?!?!?

June 27, 2009 at 3:00 pm
(2) Cory says:

* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074
* UDP 53
* TCP 53

Thats what the ports are.

August 24, 2009 at 1:22 am
(3) Brandon says:

ok so i have a VPN account to my PC and i want to forward port the IP to my XBOX becuase i am stationed in Japan, what do i have to do to complete this task?

March 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm
(4) Sudo Bash says:

You may have received that system usage message because port 80 is reserved for web traffic, ie what we are using right now… I guess you tried to port forward port 80 to the xbox 360 although you should be able to skip that one if the 360 isn’t actually running a web server, which I’m not sure it doesn’t…

June 14, 2010 at 2:18 am
(5) Jonathan says:

The author is half right. First, NAT does not require port forwarding when the connections are outbound (i.e. from your xbox to xbox live servers). However a lot of multi-player games require the ability to connect inbound (i.e. my xbox to your xbox). This requires port forwarding be setup on your router.

Please ignore the comments from “Cory” above. He is repeating what is listed on the xbox website. In truth if you are running a NAT router (99% of home routers) then you only need 3074 UDP & TCP, plus UDP 88.

The other ports listed, 80 and 53 are actually for connections that are outbound, so they don’t require port forwarding. Port 80 is the standard webserver port and 53 is DNS. Again, for NAT these don’t need to be forwarded, just the 3074 UDP, 3074 TCP, and 88 UDP ports.

September 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm
(6) Brandon says:

i can connect to xbox live fine but i cant connect to one of my friends that i use to play with all the time it happened ever since we got the new xbox slims and i opened every port but the udp 3074 says its in use

September 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm
(7) bill says:

if you cannto connect to them then this is a problem their end with port mapping invariably.

November 22, 2011 at 8:50 pm
(8) Carl Galt says:

If you can’t connect to Xbox LIVE then you might have a problem with blocked ports on your firewall.

This test will confirm if you can send packets on the required Xbox LIVE Ports:

TCP: 53,80,3074
UDP: 53,88,1863,3074

Firebind Xbox LIVE Firewall Test

January 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(9) that guy says:

hey carl i ran the tests and apparently the only one that fails is port 53.. Why is this please help

January 15, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(10) ultrAclAmm says:

Opening ports didn’t work for me.

I have a Belkin router & got it to work by putting the xbox in the DMZ.

Steps:
1. Log into router (Belkins use 192.168.2.1).
2. Click on “DMZ” in the left colum of options.
3. Put the IP address of your xBox (mine is 192.168.2.3).
4. Check the “Enable” box.
5. Click “Apply Changes”.

* May have to restart your router and/or xbox too.
** This is not an optimal secure solution as it leaves your xbox open, (not behind the firewall).

Happy Gaming!!

clAmm out ;]

March 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm
(11) Kaylah says:

hey uhm I could use some help. There are 2 xboxs in this house and so far, ive tried everything to get us both on Open NAT types and its just not working. Please help.

March 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm
(12) Kenny says:

I keep getting kicked from xbox (right when i search for a game on COD) and it says the server is unavailable immediatley after so i check the COD website and it says its fine! I have forwarded all the ports listed above and DMZ my router and still having problems, any suggestions???

April 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm
(13) Jimmy says:

April 21, 2012 at 11:19 am
(14) Michael says:

#5 Jonathan, thank you for the detailed info this was just what I was looking for (did not want to open 53 and 80 unnecessarily).

April 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm
(15) BoJankeTy says:

I was having an issue with my NAT as well using a Belkin router. After I forwarded the ports my NAT went from Moderate to Strict. Went into my router gateway and disabled the UpNp and now my NAT is Open. Hope this helps. If you port forward you want your UpNp disabled. From what I understand and it may be wrong UpNp is a way to Auto Port Forward.

May 13, 2012 at 9:02 am
(16) glyn says:

I had the same proplem with a Belkin I opened ports and my Nat changed to strict, I though I done something wrong, so I had I friend who knows a lot about networking and he said I had done evrrthing correctly and he put it down to the Belkin router so I changed my router no more problems.

October 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm
(17) Pat says:

Hey Carl Gat, I failed 80. Should I just remove it then? Or do I need to do something different?

November 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm
(18) Toby T says:

Kaylah (#11),

It is impossible to port forward from one internet facing port to two internal machines. Unless XBOXes allow you to select a different incoming port on one device, achieving “Open NAT” on bot will be impossible.

Toby

November 22, 2012 at 9:08 am
(19) Josh says:

@ (11) Kaylah:
1. Go into your xbox settings and get the local ip for both of them. The local ip should be the same as your router ip but ending with a number between 2 and 255.

example:
router ip is 192.168.0.1 and the local xbox ip’s are 192.168.0.3 for Axbox and 192.168.0.5 for Bxbox)

2. Simply add port forward rules for both local ip’s.

example 1:
-using data from the example above-
(title, local ip address, inbound port, private port, type)
A1xbox, 192.168.0.3, 80, TCP
A2xbox, 192.168.0.3, 88, UDP
A3xbox, 192.168.0.3, 53, TCP & UDP
A4xbox, 192.168.0.3, 3074, TCP & UDP
B1xbox, 192.168.0.5, 80, TCP
B2xbox, 192.168.0.5, 88, UDP
B3xbox, 192.168.0.5, 53, TCP & UDP
B4xbox, 192.168.0.5, 3074, TCP & UDP

Also make sure to turn UPnP off in your router settings.

November 22, 2012 at 9:11 am
(20) Josh says:

Forgot to clarify that the inbound and private port are the same port number.

November 25, 2012 at 5:21 am
(21) Christine Bautista says:

Can i ask if what is the use of TCP and UDP in every port numbers?

December 16, 2012 at 9:02 am
(22) Jason says:

#21 Christine –Simple answer: there’s more than one protocol on top of IP: the two most well-known ones are called TCP and UDP. They have somewhat different characteristics, and the designer of an application protocol (e.g., HTTP, FTP, etc.) chooses whether to use TCP or UDP.

Both TCP and UDP expose connection points called ‘ports’, and both TCP ports and UDP ports happen to be identified by small numbers (1-65535), but there’s no relationship between TCP port N and UDP port N.

When you’re setting up port forwarding, you need to know whether you’re dealing with a TCP port or a UDP port. E.g., HTTP runs over TCP, and uses TCP port 80 for the HTTP server.

Basically TCP is connection oriented and UDP is connectionless. TCP establishes a connection and passes acknowledged traffic back and forth. UDP is kind of broadcast-like. Very very basic terms.

May 24, 2013 at 9:00 am
(23) Brad says:

I’m trying to playing COD online & can only get as far as searching for players!! My NAT is open & under unpn settings on my router it has my Xbox with external and internal port 3074 under upd already enabled. Any ideas why it’s not working??

October 22, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(24) maggi says:

Okay so I am trying to set the QoS to make an xbox LOW VERY LOW priority as it is inhibiting the network speed. In doing so I have to set the TCP and UDP starting and ending range…
I have found the ports that xbox uses, but what am i supposed to put for the starting point?

And if someone could maybe give specifics to a NetGear WNR1000v3 router that would be heaven in my hands!!

October 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm
(25) andy amaro says:

my xbox live billing account has been locked from making purchases
i got a xbox 360 3 month card

November 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm
(26) __ __________ __ says:

Wonderful article! This is the type of info that should be shared