1. Computing

| Message Board | One of our members recently purchased a Netgear wireless router that allegedly died in about 6 months time. No doubt with some buyer's remorse, they regret not choosing a Linksys. In your experience, are Linksys routers really any better than Netgear?
Join the debate - Netgear vs Linksys Routers - Discuss
Comments
September 8, 2009 at 12:50 am
(1) Jeff says:

I recently purchased a Netgear (extended-range) router to replace a Linksys that has worked for years without a problem. The Netgear wireless was extremely problematic and would not connect consistently with any laptop in my house (running Vista and XP Pro). And when one of my PCs would finally connect to the Netgear router it would not provide an internet connection. The salesperson at Best Buy, who formerly did technical support for a cable company, said Netgear wireless routers are famous for this problem. He recommended Linksys. After hours on the phone with Netgear support I returned the router for a Linksys N Extended Range Wireless Router – it works fine.

October 2, 2009 at 3:42 am
(2) Roger says:

Tried the Netgear WNDR3700 yet? It’s better than any Linksys I’ve had, dual-band, fast processor, great wireless coverage at my house.

June 15, 2010 at 2:36 am
(3) Neil says:

Maybe this is no longer a topic of interest….. But I can vouch that I’ll never purchase Netgear again. It works, sort of, some of the time. My wife and I use pc and Macs. I will definitely spend more for a better product. Netgear at least gets my respect for having decent and well staffed helpers overseas who helped me. However, it would be better if they built a better product.

July 21, 2010 at 4:43 pm
(4) Jakar says:

Like one reviewer, I’ve found Linksys to be more reliable. That said, the Netgear Wireless-N router is the fastest router I’ve ever used, and seemed to have great range. After about 6 mos, the wireless would die after being one for a couple of minutes. Frustrating as everything would work, then the wireless would die while the internal wired router still worked. Likely a simple fix.

I then purchased a Linksys dual band wireless-N. I happy with it, though am disappointed in the slower speed and wireless range. Personally I think the design without antennas has hurt the coverage, though don’t know that for sure.

Want reliability, Linksys is probably your choice. Want a fast experience, a Netgear Gigabit wireless router may your choice.

That’s my two cents and experience on the matter. Hope it helps. BTW.. if someone does know of a fix for my Netgear Gigabit router, I’d like to give it a try again.

January 13, 2011 at 11:01 am
(5) Mary says:

I have gone around in circles with the netgear support helpdesk based in aother country with people that have a hard time understanding english. It is really a joke. When they take up most of your day then they hang up on you cause they can’t understand you. Retrunging all netgear equipment cause I can’t it to work reliably and no support at all.

June 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm
(6) Drew says:

So I’ve used various routers & access points over the years. I had an awesome wired Netgear router & an awesome Linksys Access point. Upgraded to a Netgear N router (high end at the time I bought it) & had endless hassles. Loss of signal, slow speeds etc. If I have internet issues then the ISP always wants you to turn the modem off and turn it back on. Guess what the Netgear requires me to wait at least 15 minutes before I can turn it on otherwise it won’t work at all. Won’t get internet, wired or wireless connection. So finally I have succumbed and purchase the Linksys WAG320N. Should get it tomorrow & can’t wait. My previous Linksys access point was super fast & not a days issues.

November 11, 2011 at 4:32 am
(7) Jan says:

Yep, trying to decide whether to go with Netgear or Linksys. Can anyone tell me if I actually NEED a dual-band router if all I do is basic surfing? My son plays online games, though, and does a lot of FaceTime with his overseas girfriend, and we have a double-storey house. Which would give pain-free and permanent connections?

December 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm
(8) D says:

I recommended the basic Linksys WRT160N for my girlfriend and it set up just fine. She moved twice and it came with her, but started acting up pretty badly after the second move. A Dell Laptop and an iMac couldn’t both be connected at the same time and the Roku would just act weird. After excessive amounts of cursing, I tried one of my old Linksys routers which didn’t work either. I finally got to the “throw money at the problem and make it go away phase” and went with a Netgear N300 that is working fine.

I’m currently running a Linksys E3000 that dropped connections and required ~monthly resets. After a firmware update, things have been much better. My buddy got the same router for himself since he lives in an apartment complex where the 2.4 ghz range is completely saturated. The 5 ghz broadcast works perfectly from one end to the other.

I’ve been a Linksys guy for a while, but this experience shook me a little. Although a router that went through a careless move and one that sat idle in my basement for a year or so might not be the best test.

February 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm
(9) n05tr0m0 says:

The first Netgear product I bought was an extremal USB network adapter, that was in 2005. Problematic as hell, it would disconnect from the Internet every 2 minutes.

The second Netgear product I bought was a a GD834G v4 wireless router. It wasn’t my first choice but I got it as a replacement for a Belkin router that wouldn’t work at all. It seemed to be working fine for a few weeks, then, following the Netgear tradition, it started becoming problematic once again. Every little while the internet connection would stop responding for several seconds and I kept getting random D/C’s

I ended up shelving it for a long time and using some ISP giveaways instead, and once I had to buy a new router, I decided to give the Netgear a last chance. Same stuff happened, then someone suggested I updated to the latest firmware and so I did… and yes.. right now, for the first time I got a Netgear product that seems to be working decently…

Needless to say I would gladly try a Linksys router instead when its time to replace this one.

August 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm
(10) Lisa says:

I am about to throw this net gear router out the window. It will not connect wirelessly. Packing it up and going to get what always works.. Linksys :)

June 17, 2013 at 9:49 pm
(11) Simone says:

I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER NETGEAR PRODUCT. I purchased a Netgear N900 in January and after an upgrade it will not work. I contacted Netgear and they wanted to charge me. They said if I would purchase a 1 year service blah blah… I said no and then they offered me a 12 month plan. Really? This company is a joke and so is its service people and they they are in another country by the way. My advice do not purchase a Netgear anything.

July 1, 2013 at 6:47 am
(12) Mary says:

Purchased a Netgear N600 Dual Band Router June 4, 2013 to upgrade old Wireless-G Router and the Netgear has been nothing but problems. Could not connect the PS3 correctly due to IP Fragments issues. Netgear would not help without charging us, stating this was a “third party” problem.

I have had this Router for less than 30 days. Called Netgear back the same day and next thing they said was the Router manufacture date was 2011… so they wanted proof of purchase before they could even talk to me. I just purchased this Router from Best Buy on June 4th, 2013. Netgear support was useless.

I was finally able to connect PS3 correctly by Manually opening 7 ports. This was done myself with support from Netgear. Very time consuming and aggravating. However, the Router seemed to be working fine until this weekend.

Next problem the Router all of a sudden quit connecting stating a DNS problem and I had no Internet connection on any devices. Tried everything to fix from rebooting the router to re-sequencing modem to router. Had to hook up my old router to get the internet to work. Tried to hook the Netgear back up and immediately began to have DNS problems again. Was on the phone with Comcast all morning and problem could not be resolved with the new Router. I now have my old Linksys router hooked up.

I am taking the Netgear Router back to Best Buy. It has been nothing but a problem and Netgear support is worthless. No more Netgear products for me. I will return to using Linksys routers, they are more user friendly and have no problem automatically connecting with all of my devices including the PS3.

July 10, 2013 at 8:47 am
(13) Angela says:

Three days ago my NetGear N600 stopped sending internet. It was sending a signal so my devices were able to recognize it and connect to it, but there was no “juice” behind the connection. The Ethernet cable was plugged in and it was confirmed that the cable, modem, and ISP was all working. However, my netgear did not recognize that internet was being pumped into it. After reading some discussions, I am beginning to think that I was lucky that the router lasted 1 year before it crapped out on me. I am so disappointed because I paid $90 for it and to find out that it was just junk. It worked great for a year, and now suddenly the internet light has turned off and no internet can be received through it, neither wirelessly or wired.

The comments about customer service are spot on. Netgear support is a joke. $100 for 12 months of service when the product cost me $90?? Seriously? Plus they couldn’t say anything in English that wasn’t already scripted.

I will try Linksys next after reading comments about Linksys.

August 16, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(14) Lorin says:

I had a Netgear router for years with no problem but I needed to upgrade.
I got the Linksys $200 EA6500 “smart” router. There was no manual just a cd for automatic installation and setup.
The software would not run on Vista without certain service packs. I ran it on another machine instead and is would not find the router but suggested moving around the house . Apparently you can be too close or too far.
I finally got it to start installing but it they failed and left me with partial configuration and no way to complete. I called support and they insisted on remote login. Said the install was corrupt and wanted to charge me $90 to fix it remotely. I am returning the product and will never buy Linksys again. LINKSYS support is a scam!

August 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm
(15) Lorin says:

I got their $200 EA6500 “smart” router. There was no manual just a cd for automatic installation and setup.
I finally got it to start installing but it they failed and left me with partial configuration and no way to complete. I called support and they insisted on remote login. Said the install was corrupt and wanted to charge me $90 to fix it remotely. I am returning the product and will never buy Linksys again. Linksys support is a SCAM.

October 18, 2013 at 2:24 am
(16) Best wifi router microsoft Office For Mac 2013 says:

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.

Thanks!

my homepage … <a href=”http://megavideos.comuf.com/uprofile.php?UID=2986″>Best wifi router microsoft Office For Mac 2013</a>